Sunday, January 18, 2009

Young Marines in Waco, TX, and a few thoughts on the long term project



I have now photographed Young Marine units in California, Colorado, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Texas. While part of me feels like the project is complete, I think the best way to progress as a photographer/journalist is to continue pushing the work further. Part of the difficulty, besides time and money, is to photograph a subject (especially that is so homogeneous) in different ways. This process, while at times frustrating, forces a photographer to progress in a way that is impossible through daily assignments or street shooting. The dedication to subject will also show through, which sets a body of work apart from the pack and commands respect by peers. The approach to subject also changes. Recently I have begun shooting more portraits, capturing video/audio, and shooting children involved in the program in home environments, posed and lit. I can then carry these skills over to other subjects, projects, and assignments that I wouldn't be able to obtain otherwise. While I don't think I have reached the level in any of these treatments I hope to, I know I can through the commitment!

No comments: