Saturday, July 5, 2008

Chester, West Virginia, and...I made it!!

Yesterday I spent the day in Chester, West Virginia, where I photographed a JROTC unit in the town's 4th of July parade. This experience was by far the most extreme culture shock I experienced on my trip. This was classic small town culture in the hills of West Virginia. The disastrous effects of the outsourcing of the steel industry were quite apparent, and the poverty was quite intense. It was a part of America i knew existed but had never seen with my own eyes and I suggest everyone experiences it to gain a deeper understanding of our country. The couple in the 4th image were my neighbors in the motel I stayed at, and I ended up talking to them for more than 2 hours. They were quite sweet and had traveled most most of the U.S. They even used to be carneys! The last 2 were from the fireworks that night. I decided to give them a b and w film quality to them to do something different. Pittsburgh seems really cool, it has a Brooklyn/Oakland vibe to it and I look forward to getting into some stories here.









1 comment:

Taylor said...

You officially have a new blog reader! In an age where everyone considers themselves photographers, it is really awesome to see someone who actually lives up to it.

I hope you enjoy Pittsburgh, it's pretty great here! :]